Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Grammar

I have recently noticed (within the last few minutes) that even when a post has one comment, the "s" behind "comment" still appears. So I have "1 comments" on my last blog. What does that even mean except for a headache for the portion of me that was a grammar teacher as recently as last semester and will most likely be one again next semester?

Grammar, folks, is important stuff. Most people think it's nit-picky or silly to be a stickler for proper grammar. I think that it is essential for the continued survival of our species. Honestly. I really do think that. If it weren't for grammar, human beings would have no structure to guide their written communication. Without said structure, the common basis of our shared knowledge of how language works and can be used would be lost. Because proper grammar has to do with a lot more than periods and commas. While I do truly believe that commas are important, the bigger grammatical issues, if they weren't regimented within a language, would lead to the eventual dilution of meaning within communication. For example, improper pronoun reference or failure of sentence subjects and verbs to agree can seriously impede the ability of a person to make sense of something you write or say.

An example I use in my classroom: Postal Service lyrics for the song "Clark Gable"... "I was waiting for a cross-town train in the London Underground when it struck me that I've been waiting since birth to find a love that would look and sound like a movie." No doubt that is a beautiful line. Lyrical genius, I would be as bold to say. And the song itself is lovely. But what exactly is "it" that the song refers to? I mean, it seems fairly obvious when the lyric is written out that "it" refers to this thought about love and movies. But in the song, a significant pause between "me" and "that" leads to hesitation. What if "it" is the train and the speaker is now dead b/c he or she has been hit by it?

Another grammar issue that really bothers me: misspelling words b/c it is cute. In advertising or what have you. Not cute. Annoying. Makes me think that whoever designed/copy-edited said sign is an idiot. And referring to a single person with the gender neutral yet plural "they." Don't do it, people. It might be tricky to rephrase your sentence. Try.

Now I realize that these things do happen. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that I have made one or more of these errors myself since starting this blog, maybe even in this post, in fact. That doesn't mean I can't be annoyed.

Finally, I am typically not the kind of person to correct another's grammar in conversation. In semi-formal or formal writing, yes. Emails? No. Only when your words are wearing tuxes or at least suit coats.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Yes! I love grammar, so thank you for paying tribute to it here. That Postal Service example is fantastic, I had never really considered it. It warms my heart that you feel so passionately about the rules governing our written language, and maybe if we ever do have our Perkins date (at the same table) we can spend hours discussing tense and irregular conjugation and sentence diagramming. I feel like we could have a heated debate about the comma (although maybe we hold the same opinion about comma usage--less is more?--although I tend to break my own rule when blogging and as I try to remain conversational and hand you breaths and pauses on a plate, tsk tsk). Not that I am a grammar pro, by any means, but I would like to be someday. If you teach a grammar class can I sign up? Or if that is not feasible, could you at least feel free to point out any glaring grammatical mistakes in my posts or comments? K, thanx. (Just kidding about misspelling that!)

Rachel said...

ha ha ha!!! my friends are dorks!!! just kidding, no really you two intimidate the shit out of me when it comes to writing. So I'm not even going to try. And I love starting sentences out with conjunctions so take that! I laughed out loud at the part about letters in tuxes. you are cute.