Thursday, March 20, 2008

Snow

I am only mad about the snow that is coming to southern WI tomorrow because it most likely means cutting my trip short. And I really don't want to do that because I still feel like Ames is home, even though I haven't lived here for seven months. Most of the friends I made while I lived here (who are some of the best friends I have had in my life) are still around, so coming back to visit makes it seem like I was never gone. Even though I have a backpack full of books for my classes at UWM and other assorted work relating to my new WI-based life.

But I am especially not ready to leave this time around. There are several of my friends here that I feel like I haven't spent nearly enough time with in the week that I have been here. Especially since this might very well be the last trip I make to Ames before the mass exodus which will occur after graduation this year. There will be weddings in the late summer (two, both of which I am really excited about!), but things will already have changed by then. Again, I mean.

Being in school is so hard. And I'm only a little bit referring to the amount of work I do. Mostly, I mean it is hard to live life in four month sections, after which things usually change drastically. New classes, new people, people going away...that is what makes me saddest when I think about it too much. All of the goodbyes I find myself constantly having to say when all I want to do is hold hands sitting on the porch with someone who won't let go even when I am drunk and blowing my nose on my dress. Um, yes, that has happened. To me.

So I am mad at the weather for forcing this good-bye to come more quickly that I was prepared for. I guess that is part of being an adult, though, isn't it? Knowing that leaving early before the snow is the smart/right thing, even if it is the absolute last thing that I want to do. Instead, I want to sit here in one of the good booths at the coffee shop I love best, drinking this diet soda, and waiting for friends to stop in and sit with me a minute. That is what I used to do most days when I lived here: sit right here and think about how completely lucky I am to have come across so many great people in the course of my life.

I also wish I had some more time to devote to waiting for that guy I mentioned to call again. He didn't call yesterday, which is when I had said would be best for me to hang out. I went to the movies instead, which was fricken delightful. But even if he calls now, we wouldn't get to hang out.

Really, though, what I want most is to go get pizza tonight with the two other founders of the DKL. That is my one dream. For now.

No comments: